SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cabo Rico42
Thread: Cabo Rico42
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001

Bodo is on a distinguished road
Cabo Rico42

Here are some numbers that I have received from Cabo Rico.

Cabo Rico 42/ Cabo Rico45
L.O.A .46’6”/ 50’10”
L.O.D.42’6”/ 47’2”
L.W.L32’/ 35’
Beam12’8”/ 13’2”
Draft
Shallow5’3”/ 5’6”
Deep X / 6’6”
Ballast10,400/ 13.500(material not known)
Displ 26,800/ 35,600
Sail area
100% foretriangle 909/ 1,103
cutter 1,134/ 1,334
sail area-displ16.6/ 19.7

Now if you ever get a chance, take a look at one. They seem to be very sturdy, functional, well though out boats. In my opinion, what makes them safe in high winds situations in particular is their long keel that makes them more stable to hove-to where modern, short but deep keels, make it impossible, which I think is a big factor. Another thing is the rudder, which is supported by keel itself, which I think makes it very strong. Now what attracts me to this boat is the designer’s approach to solve what could become a problem at sea. Another thing is that this boat received very good reviews by several boat magazines and was named by Sail magazine one of the top 10 best sailboats in the world -the only boat to meet their definition of an ultimate bluewater boat. Now I do not know how much of it is publicity, marketing strategies and how much is true but that’s how it is. However before I make any buying decisions I have to ask myself a lot of “what if” kind of questions to determine the right boat for my needs and that’s way I’m here.
Jeff, if you can, order a brochure from Cabo Rico and you’ll get much more info then I can provide, but that’s up to you.
Thank you for your opinion. I think you are one of those few who really know what they’re talking about. I’ll take a closer look at that Valiant you were talking about.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook