SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB License
Thread: SSB License
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012
btrayfors btrayfors is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,813
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 10
btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
"Would this be a Technician or a General license?"

Neither. The Restricted Radiotelephone Operators License is for marine SSB only, i.e., for use of a type-accepted marine SSB or VHF radio on the marine bands only. It does NOT allow you to operate on the ham bands.

To operate on the ham bands you need an amateur radio license. And, to be really useful, you need at least a General Class amateur radio license, because that will allow you to operate voice on the ham bands.

Hope you keep studying and get the ham license. Go for the General, not just the Technician (you can take both exams same day). There are lots of good resources to help you, including: books and study materials from and elsewhere, online courses, training sessions by local ham clubs, etc.

You're right about not much info on actually operating a radio. This you need to get by listening and experimenting, and maybe by a helpful ham who can give you hands-on experience. But, you do need the license first before you can transmit.

Good luck,


Last edited by btrayfors; 01-07-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook