SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB License
Thread: SSB License
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 01-07-2012
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12

As Zanshin said, no, you don't need a ham license to operate this radio UNLESS you're intending to operate it on the ham bands, in which case you WOULD need one.

Be very happy that you have an excellent radio (the M700Pro/AT130 tuner). Hopefully, it's installed correctly and will give you good service for years to come. This is a marine SSB transceiver.

To use this radio on the marine bands, i.e., to transmit, you need two things:

1. a Restricted Radiotelephone Operators Permit (RR) -- good for life; and
2. a Station License for the boat -- good for 10 years.

Both of these can be obtained by applying to the FCC. Neither requires an exam. The present cost, I believe, is $160.

When you apply for the station license, be sure you check ALL THE BOXES, i.e., as if you had all the transmitting equipment mentioned therein (satellite, radar, EPIRB, SSB, VHF, etc.). This way, you won't have to re-apply and pay the $160 all over again when you get a new piece of gear.

Application details can be found on the FCC website, It's all a bit confusing, though, and if you want to just get these licenses and avoid the hassle, I'd get in touch with Gary at Dockside Radio (Pactor-II/III Radio Modem sales, FCC License filing, Marine SSB & HAM Radio Net schedules &amp frequencies.) and he'll do it for you for a small fee. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Finally, don't forget to study for the ham license, because when you get it you can then use the M700Pro on the ham bands as well as the marine bands. There's a lot more activity on those bands, and they're a lot of fun!

btrayfors is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome