SailNet Community - View Single Post - Venture 17 restoration
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road
Glad to see this thread is still active! Does anyone else have a problem when putting the boat back on the trailer where the bow ring is below the V-block and winch on the trailer? I don't know if it's a shallow ramp issue or what. Trailer appears to be unmodified.

I should clarify this occurs during retrieval. When sitting properly on the trailer the bow eye is even with the winch and the boat is level. Depending on the ramp I have to do one of those get-it-rolling-and-slam-on-the-brakes maneuvers to get the boat the last few inches.

I'd lower the hitch but as it is now the back barely floats free. I'd love a setup like the power boaters have -- a bunch of rollers and a really healthy winch. I'd just back the trailer wheels up to the water's edge and cut the winch loose!

I do have a new tow vehicle that sits a little higher. I had been using a GMC Sonoma 4x4 but as far as 4x4s go, it sat pretty low. On these shallow ramps around here I'd often have to back in until the FRONT wheels were wet. The rear axle was under water! I'd put the tailgate down and stand on it while operating the winch. (sometimes it would be just underwater as well)

These things do sit high on the trailer. Looks like I could drop it maybe an inch (adjust the bunks?) but any more than that I'd be hitting the trailer fenders and the keel V-block.

I'm a little apprehensive about dunking the back of my brand new truck! The salt water venues I frequent have steeper ramps, at least.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake

Last edited by sealover; 01-08-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook