SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB License
Thread: SSB License
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 01-08-2012
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 1,889
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 12
As Windward54 said, the FCC doesn't transfer ship station licenses. If you don't have a station license issued to your boat upon your own application, then you will need to apply for one.

The MMSI number is issued by the FCC and will come along with the ship station license. THAT is the number which should be entered into any DSC transmitting equipment you have on board: VHF (including handhelds with DSC capability) and MF/HF SSB radios.

For Jim McGee: NO. There is no longer a code requirement.

The amateur radio Technician license allows you to operate mostly on the ham VHF bands, and voice only on a portion of the amateur 10-meter band and above (UHF). This latter is not very useful on a boat. That's why you need at least a General Class license to allow you to use voice transmission on authorized portions of the ham bands.

btrayfors is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome