SailNet Community - View Single Post - can sailing guarantee my safety?
View Single Post
post #71 of Old 01-09-2012
Dirtboy

Quote:
But i would rather to sail across the ocean than to ride a motorcycle across the United States. Sailing is safer than riding a bike.
You are obviously speaking for yourself. Riding a motorcycle across the US is not more dangerous than sailing across an ocean if you are more skilled as a motorcyclist than a sailor. I assure you, my four motorcycle trips across the US were far easier and less perilous than any ocean crossing. Maybe it's because I'm a seasoned motorcyclist and have developed the confidence and skill required for the task.

When I discovered motorcycling I was scared, had frequent dreams of death on the bike (like 2/3 nights a week for the first 2 years of riding.) I just enjoyed motorcycling too much to give it up so I decided to take that energy from the dreams and start researching motorcycle safety. I read everything I could find about motorcycle safety practices from professionals like motorcycle policemen, couriers and racers. I read all the magazines (no interweb back then) and all the books I could find about motorcycling. Now, 35 years later, I can look back on thousands of fond memories of trips made, people met, roads enjoyed and an appreciation of our great country, coast to coast.

It's not a question of is it dangerous, of course it is, just like sailing. The danger decreases with knowledge and experience but it's always there.

DB
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome