SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB License
Thread: SSB License
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
You're right, this isn't the kind of biggie that sinks boats. However, when you get your station license for your boat, I'm fairly sure all installed radios must use the same MMSI. I'm not a pro on your SSB, but have a feeling it may not have DSC, so that could be moot.

I was more concerned that the prior owner had already programmed another radio, as you identified they did get a station license for your boat, and you would want to carry that forward.

As you applied for your own MMSI and haven't done the station license yet, can I assume you got a free one from BoatUS? If so, perhaps someone knows if you can use those on an FCC application. BoatUS MMSI numbers are valid in the US only, while those issued by the FCC are registered internationally. Again, no biggie, you just want to get your station license right.

If you have a US only MMSI, and are happy with it, you may be able to have your FCC station license issued without one. ( as long as the prior one is not programmed anywhere aboard )

Who's on first?....... Have fun.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook