SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any PSC37s with 4-blade Variprops out there?
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012

Mythago is on a distinguished road
The Variprop version is machined more accurately internally, has externally adjustable stops for adjusting pitch and the blades are of a different shape with a greater and more efficient cross section. The principle of how they feather the blades is the same.

Our 37 has 97 mm between the end of the prop shaft and the front of the water so, without disconnecting the shaft coupling or dropping the rudder, that is the space I have to get a prop on. The end of the shaft is tapered so initially the prop doesn't have to be straight. To get the prowell off/on, I have to remove the anode and separate the front and rear halves of the hub and literally take the prop off in pieces. Putting it back together, you just have to make sure the blades go in with the same relative position or the pitch on the blades is not consistent. The first try took more than a couple of attempts.

Talking with the MaxProp rep at the boat show, he expressed concern that I couldn't get the prop on without a lot of work. Same goes for the cheaper VariProfile prop. Why does it always work out that the best option is the most expensive???
S/V Mythago 1995 PS37 #301 ON831667
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Mythago For This Useful Post:
Megansisland (06-09-2014)