SailNet Community - View Single Post - The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy)
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
That's pretty freakin' brilliant CnC. Nice work, dude.

I have a 4hp on my C27 (built in fuel tank, etc.). It's pretty dicey in windy conditions due to the low power - but it works just fine if you make sure inertia and time are your friends.

Also, the oversized backing plate is a good idea. There is a lot of force applied by continually raising and lowering the motor on those swing mounts. Maybe you should just go with a fixed mount that slides in and out of the BracketSquared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I should have been more detailed Minn: I wouldn't/won't store gas in the laz (of course), and the bracket takes up a very small area of the large lazerette. A small o/b can stow in one of the massive cockpit lockers (still leaving room for two bodies if need be), or on a rail, and a small 2.5 gallon gas container can stow on deck when the potential for it's use is anticipated.

I should have noted that we're talking 3 or 4 hp max I believe (40/44# - easy for me to lift from any angle at my age and size), with a built in fuel tank. No gas lines, etc. Basically something that can power our small hard dink, as well as push us down a fairway or parts of the ICW in favorable conditions. Simple, small.

I believe the welds would hold on their own when thinking about such a light motor, however I'm with you in thinking it wouldn't hurt to make it even less flexible (hence the two bolts the thread into the motor bracket itself when inserted into the bracket) and rigid for the long haul. Let me note it's not flexible now of course...

This is designed as a "barely there" motor idea, and one of these days one of my ideas brought to fruition is going to convince you I'm not quite as dumb as you think... (grin)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook