SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Some Days ago when I was in Fumicino taking photos of that Comet 31 (that I posted recently) I meet Andrea from Comar Yachts that seeing me interested in the boat asked me if I wanted to take a look at the shipyard (Comet is made by Comar).

Well some ladies like to look at window shops, I like to look at boats and boat shipyards so I jumped into the opportunity. Comar shipyard is big and very latin, I mean nothing of the Nordic military efficiency, here they work with what seems to be a comfortable disorganization

What I found more unusual was the huge variety of boats being made: Some small one class racers, some 35fters, some big boats between 50 and 60ft and a really big 85ft, this one for the Italian navy (lucky cadets). The boats are built with great care but almost fully customized, made by hand and they make practically everything there without almost no resourcing to outside services. That explains the very good quality of their boats but also their price, that is a bit higher than mass production boats but even so not as expensive at Nordic boats.

I found out that they also use an internal steel reinforcement grid where the keel and shrouds are connected but instead of being glued to the hull it is completely stratified inside the hull. They use vacuum bagged cored hulls (with airex on the core), vinilester or epoxy resins and some boats are made completely in carbon, including the big ones.

They seem to have the ability to build anything regardless of the size or material, providing it is a composite. I guess they will end up giving up building small boats and that they will focus on really big boats like many companies that work with top quality and customize their boats. There is little profit in custom small boats and a lot more on big boats.

While they still make small boats (I have already posted about a 38ft) let's have a look at one of the most recent, the Comet 35s, a kind of First 35 with Italian flair:

They say about the boat:

From the hull to the carpentry, from the flush hatches to the steel, most of the components you will find on your COMET have been custom-made in-house. The hull and deck are made in Airex sandwich, using unidirectional and biaxial web and epoxy vinyl resin. Airex is glued to the skins in a vacuum and the reinforcements are stratified directly on the hull, without using female moulds, thereby obtaining maximum structural rigidity.

The Comet 35’s standard layout comes with 2 cabins both with comfortable double-berths, large closets and a large head. The saloon, with a large convertible couch and a second sofa in front of it, is very bright thanks to the extensive windows and four skylights. The dinette offers ample storage space, with an L shaped galley to the right of the ladder, well equipped with a large working area, in front of the chart table. The finishings are in solid and laminated American cherry wood, ensuring a modern and welcoming ambiance.

The objective of the small Comar Yacht cabin cruiser is to maintain the full range concept: modern lines, excellent seaworthiness and the top notch livability. A challenge that becomes more interesting in small sizes. The cruiser vocation of the Comet 35, becomes pure racing fun and in both instances the hull stability allows seamless boat management even with a reduced crew. By reinterpreting the sleek and well balanced lines typical of the Sports Comar range, even in the 35 we can recognize the harmony of the deck where the deck house, well integrated with the hull lines, offers excellent interior livability.

Specification:

Lenght overall 11,05 m
Hull lenght 10,65 m
Waterline lenght 9,21 m
Beam 3,64 m
Draft 2.10m
Std. Ballast 1.600 Kg
Displacement 5.500kg
Mainsail 40,00 mq
Genoa 40,00 mq
Spinnaker 93,00 mq

5500kg isn't bad for a 35ft and 80m2 is a lot of sail for the weight. The boat has a lot of form stability and those 1600kg are a on an elongated lead torpedo and both things put together make this a stiff boat. A stiff boat with lot's of sail for the weight makes a fast boat.

On the test sail from "Vela e Motore" they measured with 18K wind:

45º-6.5K....60º-7.6K....90º-8.2K....135-7.6K....150-7.1K

The interiors are of very good quality and the design is refreshing.

The boat costs a bit more than 120 000€ at the shipyard and I would say that is not too much for what is offered.

Last edited by PCP; 01-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook