SailNet Community - View Single Post - The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy)
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012
America, love it or leave

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Nice job Chris! I've often thought that a mount similar to that, but much longer top to bottom, would be a great way to store the outboard. When you want to put it on the dingy just pull a pin and slide it down to water level and hop in the dinghy to transfer it to the transom. Or if the main engine/prop is kaput, use the outboard for propulsion like you are planning to do. When done just pull it up and lock in place. Seeyalatermoonglow has a nifty setup that does what I"m doing a crummy job of trying to explain, his uses an aluminum tube to go up and down on.
Thank you! A longer version for higher freeboard boats is a great idea, especially the dink transfer you mentioned. Just drill more "pin setting" areas, and you have a full range of use. I have way low freeboard, and when I mount the mount there will only be a couple of inches on top or bottom due to my stern shape (making a boat to dink transfer of the o/b pretty level already).

I have also been thinking about an amidship removable mount for an o/b in addition to this one a la Yves Gelinas, (versatility, options are always a good thing)..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook