SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best routing information
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Them, rather than it

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Well I've downloaded it not trying to figure out how to get it big enough to read.
Note that the pilot charts are monthly by ocean basin so you might need to dowload several. Also Cornell's book is a compilation of data from many sources including pilot charts. It is certainly the pre-eminent data source for planning passages. When we recently planned our trip from Oz to North America, it was a matter of we have to be here (for us South Africa) at a certain time and that means we have x weeks to get from here to there. There is a reason that people going to various parts of the world all go at pretty much the same time - and why another time might be quite dangerous.

A semi-politcal comment about Cornell's book. We buddy-boated with friends from Florida all the way to Oz, with several times when we went different places. We each started with a new Cornell. When I bought mine in Toronto I did not know, and the bookseller did not say, that there was a new edition out so I had one edition older. By the time we go to Brisbane, John's binding was falling apart and mine was still in almost new condition. The new edition is printed and bound in China, while my older one was done in the US. It is sad when we get crappy quality and people here lose jobs. I would bet the difference in price would be less than $5.