SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Modern boats designed with a classic look are one of the trends of today's design. Compromises are made in what regards sail performance, usualy in what concerns LWL regarding LOA but most of these modern classic looking boats are very light, have modern bulbed keels, modern spade ruder and a hulls with not much rocker.

They are intended to be fast, very pleasurable boats to sail and sailing pleasure would not be the only pleasure they would deliver: These boats that will make any owner proud. These are boats that will never look old, boats to cherish and to keep as a art work and of course as any work of art, design is of paramount importance.

Bob Perry designed recently one, a beautiful narrow 62ft and contrary of what is usual on these boats, have managed to maintain the classic flavor, without a big loss of LWL regarding the boat LOA. The hull seems very well designed and looks very neat and the ruder and keel are thoroughly modern.

The keel is particularly interesting, a steel hollow structure that will function has a diesel tank and an integrated torpedo that will not get stuck on fishing lines. The ruder is also high tech and a carbon one.

Of course a boat like this should have a carbon rig and this one will have one , the one used on the Farr 40. I hope rod is used to keep in mind with the rest.

The boat hull will be made in Cedar strip planking The hull with cedar and after sheathed in Vectorply E-TLX 2400-10 triaxial cloth. The deck would be made of composite.

Cedar strip planking give very strong and light hulls and this one will only weight about 18 000 lb. With that weight it should be a very strong hull.

The boat would have a huge sail area (978 m2) for the weigh and that with the very low drag of this boat and big LWL will make it a very fast boat and a boat that would sail well in very weak wind, I would say with any wind.

Of course with such a narrow hull and a canoe stern this boat would have to rely for stability mostly on its ballast and it has lot's of it, almost 50% of its weight and all in a lead bulb on the end of a long keel. This boat will have a lot of righting moment but will sail heeled with any consequent wind. Not a problem for me I like heel. The boat will probably heel easily to 20º and will be rock solid and very stiff after that.

This is a very interesting boat and I guess it will be on the vast Bob Perry curriculum as one to be remembered, a boat which design will never get old. That is a desire of any designer: to make a work of art that will remain as a legacy for the future and I believe that will be the case. I only hope the finish and the interior to be up with the quality of the sailboat design.

To know more about the boat:

Yacht Design According to Perry

Last edited by PCP; 01-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook