SailNet Community - View Single Post - The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy)
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
CnC,
I highly recommend that book by Henry Plummer ("Me, the Boy and the Cat"). It is an easy read and a fun slice of one man's account of going up and down the early ICW. Back then there was a canal that went up the Raritan River (in NJ) to the Delaware River (north of Philly) so they did relatively little 'outside' sailing as their main boat was small (~23'). They ran aground a few times but depended on their 'kicker' or OB engine and were able to fix it when needed. Some of his observations about the folks he met along the way are priceless; biased by his plain spoken New England background. I highly recommend it, five stars ***** out of five.
I really do like the 'engine-less' idea but having an engine you can use is better then rowing against the current. I also wish that electric motor and battery technology where better but I am not convinced that much of the manufacturing processes for batteries are 'green'. I'm convinced of the opposite really.
I've grown to like my now antique 1967 Atomic 4 engine (even if it pollutes in it's own way) and have striven to make the old beast the devil I know, love and care for. It still gets me where I need to go and the more I care for it the better it seems to take care of me. Get the manuals for the outboard you end up going with if you don't already have them.
My friends San Juan 29' is down in Marathon. I'll just be there for a few days to do an informal inspection of his boat and lambaste him for any short comings I find; and I expect to find a few. I'm also hoping to go for a sail above all.
What seems a bit odd to me is that my T 27' weighs in at 7200#'s and his SJ 29' at about 6000#s. I seem to like older model boats better. We'll see.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook