SailNet Community - View Single Post - The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy)
View Single Post
post #39 of Old 01-12-2012
ccriders

CnC,
I recently read an article, don't remember where, about using the dinghy as a push boat. Have you considered that? While your non-bracket is very nice looking, I think you will always see it there on the transom and it will be an eye sore, especially when you get further south and rust becomes more of a problem.
As I was sailing home from doing a bottom job last week I saw a barge pushboat that took the "form follows function" dictum to the limit. This "boat" was nothing more that a big, really big, engine with control room mounted on top. The hull was square, probably 12X12 and had two verticle push bars mounted on the front. His bow wave without a barge was impressive. So I'm thinking, how ugly is that?
Sometimes I wish "they" had never put an engine in a sailboat, but there are times when they are essential when in a narrow waterway. I like the side mount idea as it will reduce the tendency for the prop to rise out of the water as the boat pitches over wakes and waves. I think you will find it especially so on your boat which has a pretty long aft overhang, eventhought it has a low freeboard. Since you have good metal working skills I encourage you to design a really slick system that puts the outboard on the side about where the prop for an inboard would be.
Your thoughts?
John
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome