SailNet Community - View Single Post - ferro boats
Thread: ferro boats
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006

mstern is on a distinguished road
Why do you want a ferro boat? They were relatively popular for a very short time about thirty years ago and then pretty much disappeared. From what I understand, they disappeared for good reason. Westsail was the primary manufacturer, and they sold a lot of boats as unfinished hulls for the do-it-yourself market. As a consequence, the quality of the boats out there varies tremendously. Ferro as a building material has the benefit of being really inexpensive; this keeps the cost of the new boat way down. For you the used boat buyer, this is almost meaningless as you reap none of those benefits. Cons? poorly constructed interiors, uneven quality fittings, very heavy displacement (i.e., slow), poor resale value. What happens when you hit cement with a hammer? Imagine hitting your cement hull on a rock... I could go on, but you get the picture. I would guess that one of the big attractions of this boat you are considering is its low price; well, the price is low because the demand for ferro boats is low too. If you are seriously considering buying the boat, ask if the interior is a factory job or done by an amatuer. Check the wiring and plumbing carefully; if they too were done in the backyard, they may be suspect. I have seen enough crappy electrical work done by professionals in factories; I shudder to think what an enthusiastic but untalented amateur might come up with. Unless you are very handy, have a lot of time, and enjoy major projects, I would avoid ferro boats. There is a world of inexpensive fiberglass boats out there with 6'4" headroom capable of going around the world.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook