SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boom furler on Morgan 34, Frozen?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by inshallamiami View Post
Although not used in a Long, long time, our Morgan 34 has the original furler (famet) which rolled the sail around the boom but it appears to be frozen. We have the handle (used for the outhaul also) but it just won't turn. Is there a lock of some kind? Any ideas how to free it? We don't really need to use it, we're just going a little nuts trying to see if it COULD work.
The entire cranking mechanism has to be removed from the boom. A few years ago I had a customer with a frozen one and it was pretty easy to get it working again once I got it out.
I can't recall much about how it worked, but I remember that the mechanism is made from good material. Bronze and stainless mostly I think. I just had to soak it and tap it and work it until it started moving and then just cleaned it up, lubed it and put it back.
I lubed the outboard end too and it turned like a charm.
I have no idea if he ever actually used it to furl or not, but I pretty much agree that it's not going to give you the best end result. However, sometimes, with some boats and some owners, a less than perfect result is satisfactory.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook