SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground West coast vs East coast
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I thought the quote was something like "those that have, or those that are waiting to do so"

Reality is, one can run aground on either coast or where ever you may be depending upon your draft. There is one channel up in the san juans, that during a -2.9 tide we had around July 4 last year, puts the channel in at 2.1' in depth, it is 5' with at 0 tide. max is usually about 9' in that area, or 14' max depth at the most. I went in at about the earliest I thought I could last summer, got too much into the middle/east part of the channel at 1-2 knots, I bumped! Fortunetly I was not given toooo much sheet from the other 40 some odd members of the YC up there. They asked about my draft ie 6', they shrugged, then all thanked me for the email saying 0tide is 5' depth, if you come in at the low.....most of them would have grounded out their PB's! Of course I am also on the radio telling another sailboat with 8' draft waiting for the tie to get higher where not to go, as I bumped.......

Otherwise, I'm the same, lowest the marina is is around 8' with a -3.x tide, with a 12.x, I am in the 20+ range. Southern puget sound, ie olympia, they are a big bigger in tide shifts IIRC. I've also run aground in a big shoal south of the marina a couple of times, ground is soft, so nothing major......

Look up artbyjody if you want to read about grounding and some damage........the again, he lost and anchor rode last december during a gale....he is still fixing that repair right now with a hole in the boat!

marty