SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roller Furling
Thread: Roller Furling
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2001

bcameron is on a distinguished road
Roller Furling

I got a Harken unit this spring after a significant amount of research in the topic... it was very enlightening to see how all of the various manufacturers sell against each other! I liked the Harken''s use of Torlon bearings which don''t require lubrication... oils/greases don''t mix with sails in my mind. The foil system also seemed "studier" although other manufacturers told me that if I ever had to take it apart for some reason I was in for a lot of trouble... that''s probably true as it gets glued/locktited together ON TOP of the set screws, etc. The whole system just seemed to be better thought out. The difference in money wasn''t substantial for any of the systems once you got to past the entry foils. Profurl makes a VAR furler that I''ve seen quite a few sailmakers carry but it seemed to be lacking in features like dual tracks (although I''ve never used my second one frankly... although I probably should!). One suggestion... what ever you get, be sure to get a block for the uphaul so that the uphaul goes through the block (mounted to the mast) just prior to going through the masthead sheave... it''s no fun to have it "twist" off the sheave... I got a bit too good at going up in the chair until I got one installed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook