SailNet Community - View Single Post - Greetings from 1 more rookie
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012

Wanderin1 is on a distinguished road
Greetings from 1 more rookie

I have been reading the sailnet forums for nearly a year now and want to start by thanking all the people who are so willing to offer advice and help to strangers. I was thrilled to find that such a place existed but wanted to wait until I stopped dreaming and committed to cruising before I signed up here. I took an early retirement (55, minumum age) in the fall, visitied several distant friends I hadn't seen in a while, tied up a few loose ends at home and made my way down to another friend in Sarasota. I have been looking around for ten days, (most of my knowledge about sailboats comes from this website), usually accompanied by another friend who is in the boat business. I am finally close to buying something. I think perhaps the best advice I read here was something along the lines of this - start with a small boat so that with time you will come to experience and appreciate the nuances and intricacies of sailing. If you start with a big boat you'll never know. As soon as I read that I thought of golf. Someone who has played golf since childhood, and had good instruction, has a kind of grace to their swing that the rest of us envy and rarely achieve. So I am going to try hard to become a graceful sailor over the next year or 2. I hope to buy a 26' O'Day. Solid, comfortable for cruising, I believe good for solo sailing. Have only sailed small boats off and on over the years, with minimal instruction. Never seemed to have the time or $ to take it seriously. Will take the ASA 101, 103 and 104 as soon as I buy the boat, and from there I follow this long time dream. I will most definitely be looking for frequent advice soon. And no, I will not be one of those who jumps in and jumps back out after a few frustrating months. I expect very difficult periods and I really believe the only question is whether or not I will love this so much that I do it year round eventually. Damn nice feelin bein so close to finally doing it. I would imagine a few of you can relate. Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook