SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground West coast vs East coast
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdad View Post
In another thread, Sawingknots said "there are 2 types of sailors,those that have on occasion "run aground" and those that lie...". I have not found that to be true. On the West coast, specifically in Southern California, we have deep water harbors and no rivers. Running aground down here is a major issue. The only person I know who ran aground hit the rocks on the breakwater and had major damage. He was in the fog and missed the opening.

The tidal range in Channel Islands harbor is about 8 feet at maximum. At low low tide, my slip is 10' deep. The main channel is 20' deep. Just outside the breakwater, the bottom drops down to 50' and more. I know that in the Chesapeake, the water is very shallow.

My question is how many of you have run aground? Where was it ? How much damage? What happend to cause the grounding?

Thanks for the info.
You have obviously never been to Two Harbors (Catalina). Harbor Reef (where the water can be as shallow as 18") on the southwest side of Bird Rock reaches out and grabs a few yachts every weekend. While marked, many of the weekend warriors have so little knowledge/experience that they don't recognize a hazard mark. Moreover, many boats are arriving late in the day with the sun relatively low in the western sky and a nice glare off the water making it difficult to see the impending shallows. (We used to do a pool as to the number of boats that would ground between 1800 Friday and 1800 Saturday. One one occasion we had 6!)

Similarly, the shoals around the entrances to Santa Barbara, Channel Islands and the Ventura yacht harbors routinely grab boats as they attempt the traverse. The only "advantage" that the west coast has is the greater range of the tide--assuming one goes aground near mid- or low tide. If one grounds at or near high water, and cannot get off, one can be seriously screwed as the yacht lays over on one side or another and wave action--and wakes--pound the yacht on the bottom.

Grounding is not inconsequential on either (any) coast.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook