SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cabo Rico42
Thread: Cabo Rico42
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Cabo Rico42

Thanks for your kind words and the additional information. A couple quick comments here. At 10,400 lb ballast, the 42 falls at the bottom end of a reasonable ballast to displacement ratio for a shoal draft vessel of that weight.

I did want to comment on your point that you felt,"what makes them safe in high winds situations in particular is their long keel that makes them more stable to hove-to where modern, short but deep keels, make it impossible".

I really don''t think that is true. Certainly the fin keel boats that I have owned will hove to. While older literature seems to suggest that you need to have a full keel to hove to, current thinking is that all that is required is a boat that is in dynamic ballance. As a result it seems to be a boat boat thing rather than simply a matter of the length of keel. For example, my 1939 Stadel designed cutter had about as long a keel as a boat could have and yet she would not hove to. My Laser 28 had about as minimal a fin and rudder as you could have and yet she would hove to quite easily.

You also indicated, "Another thing is the rudder, which is supported by the keel itself, which I think makes it very strong. Now what attracts me to this boat is the designer’s approach to solve what could become a problem at sea."

Again, I have a slightly different opinion here. It is not an automatically correct conclusion that a keel hung rudder is stronger than a properly engineered post hung or skeg hung rudder. That claptap has been around for a long time but its not always the case. The two rudders that have been broken on boats that I was sailing were both keel hung. It is actually easier to balance the torsional loads on the rudder post more easily on the boat with a counter-ballanced spade rudder. It was fatigue due to torsion that we believe lead to the rudder post failure on the one boat. I know that the spade rudder has to absorb the large cantilever of the rudder blade but properly designed that is actually not that hard.

I am not sure that I have much more to ad here. I try to limit my comments to boats that I have first ro secind hand knowledge of or to generally inferable impressions that can be gleaned from the ''numbers''. I think that I have made as many conjectures as much as I am comfortable with. Hopefully and owner will pipe in here with direct knowledge.

Respectfully,

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook