SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground West coast vs East coast
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Some miles offshore near Pullen Island in the Beaufort Sea west of Tuk there lies a torus shaped gravel bar. Doing 8 knts in heavy fog when the sounder alarm went off. Immediately cut power and turned hard to starboard. 43 ft'r healed over ,stern rose on my wake and bumppf bumpph over the bank into the deeper center. Exploring with the bow in all directions find no way out of the coral . about 200 ft across.With heavy weather forecast a bit of a pickle .Got one pole out with both anchors and several canon balls slung from the end and three nervous scientists sitting way out took a flying leap at what might be the way out.When we stopped, the pike pole sounder showed the need of a ft and a half more water . Amazing what hard over again and again can do to wiggle across the shallows to deeper water.We made it off much to my relief. This was before GPS and compasses don't work so good in the Arctic.No tide to speak of but wind can cause current of 3 knots in any direction and blow 6 ft of depth up or down. Dat's my yarn.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook