SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heavy Weather Sailing
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I think I posted it several years ago, but until recently I have been more active on Cruisers Forum than here at Sailnet.

About the only sure takeaway for me is a conviction that the South China Sea is a tricky stretch of water -- one I would make efforts to avoid in future. We went at the end of typhoon season and got a typhoon. Since I was trying to get from Hong Kong to Thailand, I didn't have much choice. If I were doing a milk run from the US, though, I'd go over the northern side of Borneo and up to Gulf of Thailand.

Here's the problem:
June to October (officially) - Typhoons. But they aren't unheard of through December and occasionally Jan.
December to March - winter monsoon. Guaranteed heavy weather
March to June - light air
Yeah, I just learned a bit about that. Evans S. posted weather and pilot charts for that area over at SA since the VOR is about to go through. Going W-E looks like a nasty ride for a very long time. It'll be interesting to see how the 70s fare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook