SailNet Community - View Single Post - composting toilet report
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure the "crops" collumn is correct.

[QUOTE=ewoden;816345]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsContent View Post
2. Pooh gets dumped somewhere on land, could be laced with fecal bacteria that can cause sickness (unless you store it for a few years - yah right!).
-QUOTE]

Years? Bit of an huperbolic statement. Consult holding times at 30 C on page 5 of this EPA fact sheet. http://water.epa.gov/aboutow/owm/upl...07_14_comp.pdf

Seems summer storage in a container in the sun ought to kill things in a matter of weeks, provided it is kept aerobic, and moist. Hey if you want to flush and forget, taking no more responsibility on, have at it and pump ut or dump to a land head.. I myself enjoy the challenges of doing appropriate disposal independent of the municipality.
The soil collumn states 50-120 days. For most of us, some of those days will be below freezing and don't fully count (document stated 20-30C), unless composting is active enough to generate heat. But more than 120 days should not be a problem in a shore-based compost pile.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 01-13-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook