SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground West coast vs East coast
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012

marianclaire is on a distinguished road
Where to start? Worst/most embarrassing grounding. 5 miles from finishing a 2000 mile trip I decide to push out into the Neuse River despite the rough conditions. I am running closer to a shoal than normal due to direction of wind, waves and stupidity, bad decision on my part, fuel is all churned up, filter clogs, engine stalls, I dash forward and raise the jib, start to come about and boom. I drop the sail because it is pushing further on the shoal and each wave makes the boat lift and drop, not a pleasant sound. I check the bilge for any signs of water and find all is well. Call up Tow Boat. He gets me back to my slip but it has been blowing so hard most of the water has blown out and I have to be shoved/pulled into the slip.
Not my fault really. Heading down the ICW I hail a dredge and ask for directions on passing. The guy on deck starts waving me around so I follow his directions but as I am passing the barge starts shifting over and my choices are to hit the barge or hit the sand. They immediately brought the work boat over and pulled me off.
Most fun. Heading north on the ICW behind Ocean Isle Beach a little before dark and a hour or so before posted low. I was pushing so I could make the next days trip easier, two inlets and the Cape Fear and the tide plays into all of them. I nose into a side creek looking for a place to stay the night and I am aground. My crew and I decide it is a good time for a drink. We wait about 2.5 hrs as the boat slowly heels over. We just brace across the cockpit and enjoy our cocktail. Eventually we float off and find some deeper water and drop the hook. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Last edited by marianclaire; 01-13-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook