SailNet Community - View Single Post - Can a Bristol 32 Circumnavigate?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012

rkgleason is on a distinguished road
Bristol 32

Having owned a Bristol since 1991 I believe I know them. The construction is better than a Cal, in fact Pearson may have made the hull too heavy. With good maintenance these boats can last a lifetime. The boat loves to reach, but upwind in certain kinds of short chop light-med wind requires bearing off 5 degrees to stop hobby horsing (she does have a very short footprint), otherwise she sails fine. Below she has more storage than most boats of her size. Real drawers, more storage under the drawers, lockers port and starboard, shelves and cabinets. Unlike some boats, there are catches for sea duty. Our cabin is actually quite nice for a production boat, with mahogany bulkheads and white cabin liner, lots of light and ventilation, plenty of headroom and good visibility. Actually I don't really understand why there is such negative comment about Bristol 32's. They are a classic CCA hull designed by none other than Ted Hood. They move easily through the water, are quite dry and they get you there.

Rick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook