SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1970 E-35. Things to watch out for?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012

salamandyr is on a distinguished road
1970 E-35. Things to watch out for?

I just looked at a really nice 1970 Ericson 35' sloop - beautiful lines, clean interior, just needs a little TLC, a new wind speed/direction sensor at the mast tip, and it's got a blown bow windlass.

It's got gorgeous brightwork above/below, monstrously huge cockpit, spacious and clean cabin (with mint/stock dinette layout in awesome 70s mustard/brown colored fabric), LPG stove, working wet-head, a 22 hp UA diesel with 1600 hours on it and recent tune up / service.. Rigging and sails in good shape, bilge dry, no mildew in interior. Also has a roller furling jib, and a tiller (which I prefer to a wheel).

They are asking $15K firm. Bottom paint done 2 years ago, and is still immaculate above the water line, but who knows what it might need aside from the aforementioned sensors and a replacement windlass.

This one is reported to have a 4'11 keel - does that make it a shoal draft or 'regular' fin keel, for these? I was figuring that made it a 35-2, given the info at sailboatdata.com (and the superstructure looks like the example picture) but I'm not 100% sure..

Soo.. decent deal?

I walked around the decks, peeked into the bilge, ran the engine, etc.. except for the stuff I know about it looks great.. what might I want to pay special attention to on this one?

I'd have a survey done pre-offer and would throw it back if anything else major is discovered, but I'd rather not waste the $1K if there are known trouble spots I can check first.

Last edited by salamandyr; 01-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook