SailNet Community - View Single Post - composting toilet report
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoden View Post
Yep I usually do this to keep the extinquished coals for the next burn so keeping those coarse bits of charcoal for alternative purposes would be easily doable.

Without a vent have you encountered much in the way of dust as your system dries?
No. As I wrote in a previous post. It's important for the cover material to be slightly damp. So I don't really have any dust problems.
Also, I don't believe that there is any reason to agitate, stir or vent the toilet. All you have to do is cover whatever you deposit in it. It is necessary to have a tool, in my case it's a flat, perforated, stainless steel, scoop type of thing, to scoop up and distribute the cover material and with which to combat the "pyramid" effect. (use your imagination)
I empty my bucket once a week. It's usually about half full. The contents are primarily moist sawdust. There is virtually zero odor. Even when emptying it onto the top of the compost pile where it's covered and watered.
This is such a simple process, it makes me a little crazy hearing it so often described as being complicated and difficult. It does require a commitment of time but it only takes a little common sense and the ability to read.
I've been doing it for over two years using what is no more complicated than a bucket in a box. It's in the garage where my wife does her laundry and she has never once noticed a smell.

This book should be required reading for anyone considering composting their poop. It used to be free to download but not anymore. I bet it could be found in the library though.

http://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/H2_all.pdf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook