SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vagabond 42 Fellowship video tour and sailing adventure
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012

drakeParagon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
Great video, thanks for posting it.

Just wondering what your overall opinion of the Vagabond 42, particularly performance and suitability as a long term cruiser.

For quite a while a contemplated purchasing a Vagabond 42 however I decided against it, primarily as I was concerned about performance due to the ketch rig and heavy displacement, plus concerns on trying to singlehand the yacht. However they certainly appear to be pretty livable boats.

Ilenart
Hi Ilenart,

Well.... I'm afraid I'll just have to admit to being really biased as I love the Westsail 42 the most... Also my entire experience with the Vagabond 42 was limited to just that voyage (arriving on the day before we pushed off) so I'm not really familiar with her... My strongest impression was that she might need a lot more wind to sail effectively than other boats of similar length and displacement... and might also require running the engine more than those boats in lighter winds... I bet she's more comfortable to sail in heavier air than most boats and would heave to very nicely in storm conditions.

Maybe someday Fellowship and my heavier Westsail 42 'Paragon' will rendezvous and do some convoy sailing.. Would be interesting..

I'm looking forward to giving you an in depth tour of Vagabond 42 Fellowship's cabin when I publish that video next Thursday!

Happy Sailing, Drake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook