SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vagabond 42 Fellowship video tour and sailing adventure
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012

drakeParagon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Great vid, do my boat next!

(I have the Tides marine track system too!)

Seriously though, I would like to ask you: Do you like smaller boats/do you have any offshore experience in the 28 to 32 foot range? If so, I'd love to hear any thoughts or insights.

That corrosion you noted on the Stay Lock type fitting on the backstay (8:40 in the vid), was their any visual evidence of anyone trying to fill it/cover it with anything to prevent that crevice corrosion? I have been wondering about stuffing a blob of butyl tape over mine, the ones looking "up" (not installed yet)..
Hi chrisncate, Thank you! I've got the camera ready, where's your boat?

I love all sailboats, all sizes, all types... I started living aboard in 1994 on a old 30' Hunter in Boston harbor... In 1998 moved to a Westsail 32, and in 2002 I pushed off to spend 6 years cruising the US East coast, Bahamas, Caribbean, Bermuda, Venezuela... In 2009 moved to my Westsail 42 'Paragon' and still trying to get out of the Atlantic...

I'm not sure what the best thing is for that SSB connection to the backstay.. I've seen the wire clamped on with no goop of any kind.. and I've seen others with tons of goop all over... I think in either case corrosion eventually becomes an issue...Maybe self amalgamating tape would work best? I'm not sure... Anyone?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook