SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailerable lake boat
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road
Tom, Speaking of moving a boat around... Something nobody seems to talk about but is a huge plus for me -- you can MOVE the boat around on the trailer by hand, and pick up the tongue to sit it on the hitch ball. Just back the tow vehicle up somewhere near the boat and pull, lift, drop, latch, chain, chain, wiring, check lights and drive off. No spotter, no trailer smash marks on your license plate (or worse) and I haven't cranked a boat trailer jack in years! And the 17 at least will take up the space of one car in a garage for storage of repairs. And after retrieval if it's crooked on the trailer you can shove it straight with some effort. Fend it off a piling with your foot or standing on the dock hold it by the side stay, bow rope, and a foot on the rail - you're in full control. None of that is particular to the V17 -- it applies to any number of sub-20 footers but there really is something to be said for simplicity. Especially if on a tight budget, single-handed, or just lazy. See my signature? I've had kitchen appliances that have required more maintenance, parts, and repairs than my boat. I've spent $160 at West Marine since I've owned the thing, and half of that was the VHF. The rest of the repairs or modifications I've done were from Home Depot. My stays are coated galvanized cable (they sell it to tie dogs to a stake in the yard) and I stripped the plastic off the ends and swaged them myself. They've held up for years now with no sign of corrosion, and when coiled up on the cabin top or next to the mast at 65mph they don't scratch the finish. Thinking of replacing the halyards -- not sure if I'll get the nice stuff from Lowe's or if I'll splurge for stuff from a marine vendor.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook