SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2012 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Great idea Donna, Thank you for getting the ball rolling and spearheading.

We usually do not start sailing for real until April 1 although we have gotten out before then.

I would suggest that we begin with having each of us pick the date of the raft up we would like to "captain" the raft up and that person becomes the organizer for that date and ultimately picks the spot of the raft up. Getting all of us to agree is like herding cats.
This way anyone who wants to step up and champion a date can and can help organize it and maybe pick their favorite spot or hosat it at their marina/ club. The rest of us can anchor out or take slips. There are enough dates that anyone can "captain" and organize the date. Anyone else know of areas with similar facilities and are willing to "captain" a date there for the whole group?

So if we used the last weekends of a month as the criteria that means the following dates ( first date is Saturday)

March24/25-
April 28/29-
May 26/27-
June 9/10 (tennative)- 3rd annual Sailnet Rondevous at the Maryland Yacht Club
July 28/29-
August 25/26-
September 29/30-
October 27/28
November 20/21-

I would also suggest that a few of these be close enough to facilities that we can pick up "stragglers" who cannot necessarily make it by boat, or cannot have both days free, but can car it. The June Rondevous at MYC is designed that way and we have gotten many who come by car from othe SN areas. I know on the Rhode River there are facilities for a cookout somehere. Langford Marina has moorings and may let us use their Pavillion if enough of us take slips or moorings. Swan Creek is close to where many of you keep boats. I am thinking that where ever we can do it thhis way it is advantagous, especially if we get a large group, as we generally dont raft like powerboats with 10 boats in a raft up. This way bringing hor douevers to a land pavillion/ grass area by dinghy will allow all of us to meet all of the others.

Just a few suggestions. We of course will do the Rondevous in June at MYC and will pick another date

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook