SailNet Community - View Single Post - Running Aground West coast vs East coast
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Broad Creek off Pamlico River near Washington, NC. I have a "deep water slip". That means that with 4'10+" draft, I have roughly 8-12 inches under the keel in the fairway and first part of the creek. Fortunately, there is only wind tide to contend with, and bottom is typically sand or mud. Keel washes a hole in the slip, so usually when wind blows adversely, boat just settles down and floats in the hole. If the wind blows 20+ for a couple of days, water in the creek blows out and all boats just settle down in their slips (most often upright) and are steadied by their lines. Once I get into the river, there's deep water....that would be 9-10 ft. typically except for the shallow areas. There are a few holes pushing a good bit deeper. Soft grounding is not unusual at all, but usually of no consequence. Most boats that do touch usually manage to get themselves off. In 40 years, I've never had to be towed off when I touched bottom, but in my old age, I have started keeping a current SeaTow membership. After a while, you learn where you can go and where you can't. The amount/height of barnacles showing on the piling and wind predictions generally tell me whether or not I can go sailing on a particular day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook