SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel type?
Thread: Keel type?
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Cool Breaking all the rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotphix
As a former great lakes towboat operator I can tell you that of the several boats i have pulled out of the sand off Toronto Island the most difficult by far was a wing keel that had motored on. It took two towboats at full throttle after a couple of hours of twisting and attempting to heel with the mast had zero effect.
Yotphix -- sounds like you and your pal spent two hours twisting and heeling that wing into the sand as though it were a screwpile for a lighthouse. Rule number one for a wing is to keep the boat level of course, so why twist and heel at all? I've always thought that if I ever do need help getting off the bottom with my wing, the best way is simply to pull the boat out backwards the way it went in. Plus, on my keel, the wings don't start until about the aft half of the keel. It's very possible that the wings won't be stuck at all.

Yes, folks, catching up with some old business before I DIE STUCK FOREVER ON SOME SHOAL BECAUSE OF THIS DAMNED WINGED KEEL ON MY PEARSON!!

Yes, that is my keel in my avatar.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook