SailNet Community - View Single Post - 20' to 22' swing keel with small cuddy
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012

sealover is on a distinguished road
Mercedes-Benz USA says "DON'T TOW WITH YOUR CAR" while my same exact car in Europe is rated to tow over 4000 lbs. It's not the car you need to worry about. It's the lawyers. Seems like the automakers think we're going to try to qualify for Talladega while towing, and will tow the heaviest trailer allowed at 75 mph through the Rockies so they say "don't tow" or give a healthy car a low rating. When towing on the highway I'm in the right lane, going pretty close to the speed limit. (a little above in preparation for a long hill, and a little under toward the crest) I certainly wouldn't try towing a tri-axle with a Smart car of course, but check similar models or International specs -- maybe your car can tow more than you think. Just know you might be in some hot water if you're involved in an accident and your trailer exceeds the tow rating. My "DON'T TOW" car tows just fine -- it's Rear-wheel-drive, torquey, and has gigantic 4-piston fixed caliper disk brakes. It's like it was made to tow.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook