SailNet Community - View Single Post - Impressions from the Providence Boat Show Jan 2012
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012

ChuckA is on a distinguished road
Impressions from the Providence Boat Show Jan 2012

We scored a couple of tickets to the boat show last week, courtesy of SafeSea (boat towing & marine salvage) .

There was a marine bargain basement on the first floor at the entrance to the show. I read it was offering donated leftover supplies from marinas as a fundraiser for Clean the Bay. Although I'm a huge fan of marine consignment shops, I didn't see anything I would be willing to pay for at the "bargain tables". The good news for RI's East Bay boaters is that a marine consignment shop will be opening soon in Bristol RI. I should have stopped to ask about the details, but I'll have to keep an eye out for more info.

As usual, the main focus of the show was powerboats, but there were a few sailboats on display. .

The European Smartboat 23 was the most interesting powerboat I saw at the show. There were no sales people in sight at the display. I won't pass judgement, but it was certainly an interesting and unconventional hull form. LWL = LOA

IMG_20120114_141035 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

The Harbor 20 - The Classic Modern Daysailer was unquestionably the prettiest sailboat on the show floor.

IMG_20120114_141541 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

Hunter had the two largest sailboats on display at the show, a 33 and a 41. They were very popular with the visitors. I didn't venture on board either. They appear to be heavily discounted off their list price to entice interest, but the so called "savings" are 2 to 3 times what I paid for my boat!

IMG_20120114_144105 by chuckanastasia, on Flickr

I also stopped by the Defender booth, to get the date for their annual spring sale. (March 29-April 1) An annual not to miss event for any boater who is looking to save on spring outfitting upgrades. They were promoting an interesting looking inflatable RescueMax MOB recovery system from Revere. It looks like a compact inflatable alternative to the LifeSling). I didn't really look at it that closely at the show, but their promo price is about half the LifeSling price. When I started to look into it online today, I couldn't find any indication it is USCG approved, and it doesn't even appear on the Revere website. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this unit.

The show seemed a little better attended than last year, but I glad I'm not trying to make a living selling new fiberglass powerboats. That's a tough way to make a living these days.

More details and a few more photos on my blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter: @CoastalCafe_NE
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook