SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow down when docking!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012
S/V Double Take

upei1 is on a distinguished road
if the people at the clubhouse on the veranda having their drinks look bored, and paying you no attention, you are doing it right. Because if you re gonna crash into their hunterbenelina, you can be darn sure they will be yelling advice for the gallery......

I have a small 20+ footer. we have finger piers which just out from the main pier. I was taught to approach the pier SLOWLY, and when you were about 2 boat lengths away, turn and approach the outside end of the pier/ slip at a 45 degree angle. this way you have enough time to feather the engine in and out of gear /adjust the rudder for best approach, and have a line or two ready. I usually have a line attached mid cleat going toward the stern of the boat where i am sitting. As I turn into the slip/ finger, i can wrap this around a cleat. and slow/ stop the boat's forward motion. then using other things like prop walk, rudder control, one can snug the boat up against the dock and attach the rest of your lines. BTW, lots of good advice here esoecially if you are tying up at an unknown slip. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook