SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People.
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012

drakeParagon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Hey Drake, thank you SO much for your videos, they are huge for us folks just getting started!

Question, was this the Titan 14 in your video? That is some impressive vessel.

$5,000,000 was her price tag I believe.

Sail Boat Authority - Bartram & Brakenhoff Inc - TITAN XIV - Gallery
Hi Ninefingers, Yup, that's her! Those photos are such a dream! Take it as rumor as I don't know if it's true, but someone recently told me that Titan XIV is actually just the support boat for a much larger one...

After Titan XIV arrived to continue the tow (12 hours after the collision) and I had relayed all of the relevant information I had to them, I had to speed off for Bermuda to enter the harbor and set anchor before sunset. Gail the crew on Cha Cha later told me that Titan XIV used some kind of canon/harpoon gun to shoot a light string over Cha Cha's bow.. To this they attached a spare halyard to use as the tow cable and asked Cha Cha to be extra careful with it because it cost over $3000.... here's a quote from a story which Gail wrote... I'll ask for her permission to post her entire story here...

"What followed was the tow from hell. It was so fast that it felt like we were inside a donut behind a speed boat. We radioed to ask them to slow down but they said they could not go below 8 knots as they were ‘only idling’ the engine and would lose steerage otherwise. This was almost as bad as being in the storm, but at least it only lasted four or five hours. "
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook