SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow down when docking!
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
A dock mate has a 29 foot boat which he sails with his wife and two daughters (probably 14-16 years old). He has had the boat less than a year, and is new to sailing. Almost every time he leaves or returns to the slip, he manages to turn it into hair raising adventure. He tries to park the boat as if it was a car. He has no sense of how heavy the boat is, the fact that it is in water and has no brakes or what effect conditions (wind and current) are having on the boat. At first, I would run over and try to help. I have told him someone is going to get hurt or killed, and offered to teach him how to maneuver the boat under power. He responded "maybe later" and now does his best to ignore me. Now, I simply watch every time he leaves or returns. I should turn on the video recorder!
Saturday he came in on a dead calm day. He was going too fast, turned into the slip too soon, coming very close to his neighbor (single finger two boat slips); bounces the bow off the dock; his daughter does a heroic jump off the bow (with a lot of freeboard) onto the dock while the boat is still moving at a good clip; somebody secures a dock line, and the boat jerks to a halt, with the Stearn swinging out and once again almost hitting the neighbor! In the Summer, he will be experiencing 20+ knot winds off his Starboard quarter, with his dock mate's boat downwind. Tricky conditions for someone who knows what they are doing! Worse yet, I have never seen him abort a bad approach and try again. I told the neighbor I had seen Capitan Clueless bounce off his boat twice while operating on calm days. He thanked me, and said he would put fenders on both sides of his boat. I doubt fenders are going to prevent the carnage that is headed his way this Summer! The standing rigging on Clueless's boat is questionable at best, but that's another subject. It wouldn't bother me so much if kids were not involved. Just hope nobody gets hurt.
Film at eleven!

Last edited by L124C; 01-16-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook