SailNet Community - View Single Post - Constructive Total Loss?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
I think the thing about this situation that confuses people is how insurance companies value things. Most of us regard a "total loss" of something as essentially meaning it is damaged beyond repair. Insurance companies instead look at the cost of professional repairs plus an additional factor averaged in for "re-do's", hidden surprises and so forth. Once these, plus any recoverable scrap value add up to equal or exceed the insured value payable by them, it is a "total loss".

It actually has little to do with the repairability of the insured item, it has only to do with minimizing their cash outlays. Another thing to consider is that most professionals, when they know they are dealing with an insurance company, jack up the price over what an individual would pay out of his own pocket - this even applies to dentists and so forth. I imagine that $13K to replace a toe rail has some of that in it.

I've seen cars totalled over a creased fender - the cost of repainting it exceeded the market value of an otherwise perfectly good car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook