SailNet Community - View Single Post - Gulf of Mexico oil spill
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
A lot of the stuff they talked about in the newspaper article takes place in locations where there was not an oil spill. Read the article carefully and you'll quickly discover the biologist, like most marine scientists, does not provide any concrete information. There was no information on tissue samples that indicated anything other than bacterial infections, which are very common in the Gulf's "Dead Zone", a biologically dead area of the Gulf that is growing by leaps and bounds. The above article can be found at USF study finds more sick fish in oil spill area than rest of Gulf of Mexico - Tampa Bay Times

In the article, the biologist talked about 2 to 5 percent of the red snapper being diseased. In contrast, 90-percent of the striped bass in Chesapeake Bay are infected with mycobacterium, a wasting disease that carries a huge mortality rate, and there are known cases of humans contracting the disease from handling striped bass. Gives you that warm, fuzzy feeling about our waterways, doesn't it.

Now, the person that talked about canyons in the Gulf of Mexico, how about some specifics on the location(s) of the canyons--particularly those located in the vicinity of the spill. I can't seem to locate any Gulf of Mexico canyons on my charts of that area, but I'm going to take a better look tomorrow afternoon when I find some free time.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook