SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSB License
Thread: SSB License
View Single Post
post #32 of Old 01-17-2012
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 7
According to the Icom web site, the M700PRO transmits on 1.6MHz to 27.5MHZ (160M thru 12M bands) and receives on 1.6 to 29.999Mhz. The amateur VHF band is the 2M (144 to 148MHz.); marine VHF is 156 to 157MHz and air VHF is 108 to 136MHz. Thusly, you could transmit on the 160M to 12M ham bands and receive up to the 10M band. This frequency range also covers the shortwave and medium wave bands wherein you will find all sorts of interesting radio stations (legal and illegal) from all over the world.
The bands (frequency range) this radio transmits on are restricted to General Class licensees. FCC Part 97 states that a US documented vessel must have a properly licensed person to operate an amateur radio even outside territorial waters. Therefore, you would need a General Class license to transmit on this radio IF you are US documented or you are operating in US territorial waters. The ARRL website (American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO) is a good place to start and eham ( Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site) provides practice exams. Good luck and enjoy!
VetMike is offline  
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome