SailNet Community - View Single Post - Turning dreams into reality; How much should I save?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
To add to my post I will include the work I have done so far on my boat- Most of which I did not foresee needing done when I purchased the boat. This is why its great to buy UNDER BUDGET because you WILL have to shell out the bucks to get your boat the way you like it and keep it SAFE for sailing.

1) Replace Transmission
2) Replace all bronze sea cocks and thru hulls
3) Replace all plumbing including sinks- Add Y-Valve to head
4) Replace rotten wood under head in in salon
5) Install dorades to replace leaky light port holes
6) Take out the boats mast to chop off corroded bottom section. Re-sheath mast and drop it back in.
7) Replace standing rigging
8) Replace running rigging and required blocks/shackles
9) Rebed traveler line
10) Replace ALL wiring with Marine grade wiring
11) Replace all running lights
12) Replace all cabin lights
13) Install cabin fans
14) Rebed forward hatch and cockpit locker/anchor locker
15) Install Solar panel/regulator/Inverter/second battery
16) Replace old broke instruments (Compass, Tachometer, Harness, fuel gauge, depth finder)
17. Repain interiror wood work
18) Treat all teak
19) Strengthen Main sail
20) Purchase pertinent navigation/survival gear (Handheld GPS, VHF, Flares, First Aid, Barometer, binoculars, rigging knife, assorted tools and spare parts)
21) Register boat and provide insurance
22) Repair gel coat cracks and damaged areas
23) Refiberglass rotted sole portion
I am sure I am forgetting many things. The point is that you will discover plenty of things need attention so prepare yourself for the financial squeeze of these types of refits and repairs. Lucky for me I am also handy but what I have paid for has been more than the cost paid for the boat. I still need tons of stuff too! EPIRB, Dinghy, spare everything, provisions, anchor rode, the list goes on and on. Buy beneath your budget, you will not regret it!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook