SailNet Community - View Single Post - 20' to 22' swing keel with small cuddy
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
FWIW, I used to have a Catalina 22, and now own an Oday 23. An Oday 22 was docked across from me for several years and I know the boat fairly well.

I like the Oday stub keel/centerboard set up better than the Catalina 22 swing keel. The Oday board is controlled by a single line lead into the cockpit. No cranks, no ratchets. The ballast is safely and permanently encapsulated in the stub keel. The Catalina doesn't really have a centerboard; its really a swing keel. All of the boat's ballast is held to the boat by one pin. That keel is controlled by a crank/steel cable set up. Now, Catalina has made thousands of these things and have worked out most of the bugs, but it is still another piece of equipment subject to the harsh marine environment that needs maintenance and can fail. Don't get me wrong: the Catalina is a great boat. There are thousands of them with active owners' associations, and Catalina itself is still in business to support your boat. You won't go wrong with a C-22.

However, as I said, I like the Oday better. One other thing: the head in a Catalina is (at best) behind a curtain under the cusions of the v-berth. On the Oday, its behind a door in its own "compartment". Never underestimate the value of this feature when the ladies are aboard, even if its only for a daysail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook