SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yorktown
Thread: Yorktown
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012

joehixon is on a distinguished road
Let me start out by saying, "Boy am I glad I found you folks."

My SO (significant other) and I bought a Yorktown 33 from Boat Angel on ebay. Paid about $0.21/pound for her. As you can imagine she was in rough shape. I think of her as a pound puppy, a pig-in -a-poke, a rescue boat, a project boat, or a pipe-dream. Not really sure which fits best. First thing we did was find a used ebay Perkins 4108 and traded the old 4107 block for some installation labor. That made her $0.43/pound. A month later we had the installation, alternator, stater, wireharness, engine cut-off, etc fixed. New mainsail, new boom (selden single line reefing), new carpeting, bilge pump, Engine water plumbing to hot water heater, and a few small toys. I think we're at $1/pound. Still a pretty good deal.

Well, maybe. When it rains very hard (we're in Seattle) the hull to deck joint leaks. I think this is a common problem with Hank's boats. It's not terrible, but it's enough to wet the new v-berth mattress my SO made, so it's unacceptable. The water comes in in two places where the bolts attach the deck to the hull. Does anyone have experience with fixing this?

We have a dream to head out the straight of Juan de Fuca and turn left in about a year and a half. I'm not certain that this is the boat we'll take, but I've grown so fond of her. We're still deciding whether or not to make her safe and sell for a profit or try to make her blue water worthy. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook