SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow down when docking!
View Single Post
post #80 of Old 01-17-2012
xymotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
I think you're trying to shift your obligation from showing why you worry about blowing out a knee, breaking your foot, or getting sucked into the prop when stepping off a slowly-moving boat, to showing that you are a badass in other areas of your life, which seems totally irrelevant to me.

Maybe you are not only risk-averse, but also inconsistent?
How did this become so personal?

I'm adverse to dumb risk with no reward. When I ride a bike, I wear a helmet and body armor. Sure, I 'could' ride without, and some folks will even call you names for wearing a helmet. OTOH, I'm aware that people have died in 0 mph spills in a parking lot, so why risk it?

Stepping off a boat with it in gear, gets you little to no return. I don't fear breaking a foot, but I am aware that it happens. Have you NEVER tripped? Never mis-judged traction or distance?

and it does not take all that much to REALLY mess something up inadvertently. I've been around boats enough to know quite a few people with freakishly torn ligaments, broken bones, etc. it happens! you can stay at the helm and lasso a cleat. you can come to a full stop and then step off. you can come to a full stop and then give it a little reverse motion if ya want. or I mean, MY GOD!!! you might even have to do it a second time!!

And I have in actual fact stepped off a boat onto a dock and ended up on my ass. Having an unattended boat in gear at that point serves what purpose?
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome