SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012

gpwil3847 is on a distinguished road
1972 O'Day Mariner 19 (or old Rhodes 19)

Purchased this boat about 1992/3 from a Coast Guard LCDR on his way to Hawaii, docked it at Pensacola Naval Station Yacht Club and sailed all over Pensacola bay with my wife during my early days in the navy, later moved it to my Mom and Dad's house on Back Bay in Biloxi Mississippi and sailed there off and on between PCS moves with the Air Force. Has been kept largly on a trailer so the hull is still in great shape as are the sails and rigging. After Katrina I rebuilt the trailer which was connected to my Dads Truck and floated around the back yard during the storm, the boat wound up on the ground, trailer in pieces, the truck a total loss. I bailed the boat out after rebuilding the trailer and used levers to get the boat back on the trailer. The Centerboard was wedged into the trunk. Found it was a bolt on the aft part of the CB, I cut it out and the board dropped down. the CB cable I pulled out - NEVER force things! But I recently pulled the CB pin, and called the boat yard. the CB is so rusted that it will have to be sandblasted, and sanded to see if it can even be salvaged. If it can I came across an article with pictures - will use marine epoxy and will sand and repaint and reinstall. If not I will have to make one - any ideas appreciated. After that restoration will be a snap! redo the lights, paint, perhaps some new halyards and lines?? She sails like a dream but the board is an absolute must, loses course on a reach, or if close-hauled. Will keep this boat as a back up and for nostalgia sake - but my main boat will be my 1967 Morgan 24.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook