SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow down when docking!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post

Returning to dock:
If wind is light I have no problem, can bring her in very slow next to the dock without touching anything and at a stop.

When wind is strong, I need some speed so that I get to the dock before the wind pushes off my bow. I also need to hit reverse to counter the stong wind pushing the boat into the slip. I have tried coming in very slow in windy conditions only to have the bow get blown off. And when this happens it is not a simple thing to just back out and try again. If I hit reverse, between the prop walk and the wind, the boat will want to do a 360 in the slip and potential hit my dock mate- things are much harder when single handing as even a simple push off with a boat hook is not possible as you need to be at the helm and engine controls. I have a bunch of old tires and plan to set them up on my dock, plan is rather ram them than my neighbors boat.
If I am single handing and the wind is strong and blowing the bow off the dock (into my neighbor), I find another dock to leward (check for empty dock box ), end tie, guest dock, etc.. I come back and put the boat in her slip when conditions are better. No shame in that.

Last edited by L124C; 01-18-2012 at 04:48 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook