SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow down when docking!
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vchaser View Post
My wife and only sailing partner has ms. She can tufn a winch if i wrap the line for her but docking and undocking is all on me. Were in a slip like the op talked about. If the conditions are such that i cant safely do it then there is something my wife can do. She can call the marina office on the vhf and ask for help.
Can your wife drive the boat?
Believe it or not, I usually have a crew member drive my boat into the slip. If they are inexperienced, I tell them what to do "throttle back" "start your turn", etc.. I'm always ready to take over and abort the approach if they blow it (it's rarely happened, and is yet another benefit of a slow approach). However, I'm usually the one that steps on the dock first and handles dock lines. I know how I have the lines set up, and parking is good experience for crew in case something ever happened to me. I've had crew that were reluctant to do it, but who glowed with pride once they accomplished it. It's very cool to see!
I wish Capitan Clueless (see post71) would do this instead of having his wife or kids standing at the lifelines and jumping on the docks. Besides.... they certainly couldn't drive any worse than he does!

Last edited by L124C; 01-18-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook